SOLAS is planning to appoint two new members this year. We are particularly seeking people with expertise in i) air-sea physical interaction, ii) numerical modeling, and iii) biogeochemical cycles of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur. The scientific expertises should fit the SOLAS Core Themes 1 and 2, but we also welcome nominations in any SOLAS-relevant discipline (see the SOLAS 2015-2025 Science Plan and Organisation).
SSC tasks include:
- Overall scientific responsibility for the SOLAS project
- Developing and promoting the SOLAS scientific agenda
- Communicating with the SOLAS International Project Office
- Organisation of scientific program for the SOLAS Open Science Conferences
- Organising topical workshops and liaising with working groups
- Representing SOLAS at meetings and conferences
The SSC is supported by the SOLAS International Project Office (IPO) in its tasks and is composed of mid-career and senior scientists from a broad spectrum of disciplines and nationalities. See the current SSC members here.
Members are appointed for a 3-year term, renewable once, and meet in person at least once per year.
The deadline for applications is 15th April 2021, 12:00 noon, CET.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome late in 2021.
Minimum qualifications and experience required
- Extensive international and/or national experience in air-sea interaction research;
- Established reputation in the international research arena;
- Currently active in the SOLAS-relevant field of research;
- Sufficient time to commit to fulfil SSC responsibilities.
How to apply
- Self-nominations and nominations by a third party are accepted. If you are nominating someone else, please ensure you have obtained his/her agreement prior to submission of the nomination.
- Nominations should include the following information:
- First name, family name of the candidate:
- Current country of residence:
- Date of birth:
- Contact information:
- Year of PhD:
Support for nomination
- Area of expertise (max. 20 words):
- Brief case for the nomination, along with a vision statement indicating areas of specific interest and engagement in SOLAS (max. 500 words):
- Submitted by (self, or name of nominee if not self):
- In addition, nominations should include a short CV (max. 3 pages).
Applications/Nominations should be submitted by email as a single document (.doc or .pdf) to Jessica Gier (email@example.com), SOLAS IPO.